The Hokage are important political figures in Naruto within the village of Konoha. Much of the central theme of the series is based on the protagonist wanting to become Hokage. In this article, we will talk about all the leaders of Konohagakure, from the past generations to the most current, so keep up to date with the series to avoid spoilers. Let’s get started!
1. Hashirama Senju – Primer Hokage
Birthday: October 23
Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Hashirama Senju was a member of the famous Senju clan. His fighting skills were such that he was named as the god of the shinobi. He dreamed of a peaceful world, where young people could have full lives and not have to sacrifice themselves for wars.
To achieve this, he decides to found the hidden leaf village, Konohagakure, with his clan and his childhood friend and rival, Madara Uchiha, alongside the Uchiha clan. Eventually he would win the election to become the first Hokage. Although he did not achieve the peace he hoped for during his lifetime, his legacy and vision for his future marked a before and after in the village.
- Chakra and Physical Abilities: Hashirama was the reincarnation of Asura Otutsuki, meaning that he possessed extremely powerful life force. Furthermore, this made his chakra so strong and dense that it could visibly affect her surroundings when she applied it. His ninja technique was so polished that he didn’t need to do all the hand seals during battles. He also had regenerative powers.
- Ninjutsu: As a member of the senju clan, Hashirama has training in various shinobi skills. He can summon various Rashomon gates to ward off attacks, use barriers to stop the Ten-Tails, and his medical ninjutsu skills are also notable.
- Nature Transformation: He is a master of the wood element, mixing chakras of water and earth. Thanks to this, he creates objects and plants out of thin air. He can even manifest himself as large.
- Senjutsu: Thanks to his large pool of chakra, Hashirama could go into sage mode.
- Taijutsu: His hand-to-hand combat ability put him on a par with fighters as powerful as Madara Uchiha.
Relations between Hokage
- Brother of the Second Hokage, Tobirama Senju
- Tsunade’s grandfather, the Fifth Hokage
- Teacher and tutor of the Third Hokage, Hiruzen Sarutobi
2. Tobirama Senju – Segundo Hokage
Birthday: February 19
Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Hashirama Senju’s younger brother, he was his successor after his death, becoming the second Hokage. Tobirama worked tirelessly to achieve political stability, establishing institutions that would make the village a prosperous system. Along with his brother, he was one of the founders of the Hidden Leaf Village.
Tobirama’s methods and ways of teaching were much stricter and colder than his brother’s. Because of this, he was much more serious and closed. Despite his disdain for the Uchiha, Tobirama learned to understand Madara Uchiha and molded his methods into something more akin to a mix between his brother and Madara’s. His greatest wish was for the clans to stop thinking individually and put the village above their agendas.
- Chakra and Physical Abilities: Tobirama was known as the fastest shinobi of his generation. His taijutsu skills are remarkable.
- Ninjutsu: He was extremely skilled in the art of shuriken, and creating barriers. His sword skills are also remarkable. He also has the ability to produce multiple shadow clones. As a child, he had above average sensory abilities. By touching the ground with his fingers, he could detect the presence and location of targets in a nearby area, identify the person based on his chakra signature, and guess enemy locations even if he lost his vision.
- Nature Transformation: Tobirama is capable of using all five basic nature transformations, but his specialty is water.
- Space-Time Ninjutsu: One of his most widely remembered abilities, Tobirama could teleport himself and others to locations marked by his seal, employing a special technique.
- Summoning: His summoning techniques were the most infamous, as they included the manipulation of reincarnated souls. He put souls into bodies that could regenerate automatically, and used them as a kamikaze to deal large-scale damage with chains of bodies. Eventually, this technique morphed into a forbidden technique.
- Intelligence: He was a wonderful strategist and would only attack if he thought the chances of winning were high. Thanks to the knowledge of him, he created multiple advanced techniques.
Relations between Hokage
- Brother of the First Hokage, Hashirama Senju
- Tutor del tercer Hokage, Hiruzen Sarutobi
- Great-uncle of the Fifth Hokage, Tsunade
3. Hiruzen Sarutobi – Tercer Hokage
Birthday: February 8
Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Disciple of the two previous Hokage, Sarutobi is the first we meet in the world of Naruto. Hiruzen was a very powerful ninja, also nicknamed the god of shinobi. He was the tutor of the Sannin , three powerful ninjas who marked that generation, but the entire village of Konoha benefited from his knowledge and his teachings.
Hiruzen was the one who appointed Minato Namikaze as his successor, after meeting him under the tutelage of his own student, Jiraiya. He is one of the few characters who knows Naruto’s true past and the mystery behind his birth and the identity of his parents.
- Chakra and physical abilities: It is said in the anime that the character has a lot of chakra. However, as he grew older, his powers weakened.
- Ninjutsu: Known as “the teacher”, Hiruzen is extremely versatile when it comes to learning ninjutsu , having mastered all combat versions of the shinobi arts to the point of using them with the ultimate level of power and control. He knows all the existing techniques in Konoha, including the secret techniques.
- Nature Transformation: Master of the five basic transformations, he was able to employ them with equal proficiency.
- Bukijutsu: His mastery with the use of weapons and different techniques that used the tools is also notorious. One of his summons, Enma, transforms into an extendable halberd that had the hardness of a diamond.
- Fūinjutsu: Hiruzen had a dangerous suicide attack technique, where an opponent’s soul would be sacrificed along with the one applying the technique. Interestingly, he was able to avoid the high cost by using one of his shadow clones.
Relations between Hokage
- Student of the first two Hokage
- Teacher of the Fifth Hokage, Tsunade
- Appoints Minato Namikaze as his successor for being Jiraiya’s student, Tsunade’s partner
- He had a crucial role during the eventful birth of Naruto Uzumaki, the Seventh Hokage.
4. Minato Namikaze – Cuarto Hokage
Clan: Not available
Birthday: January 25 Star
Naruto’s father, Minato Namikaze was the fourth Hokage, appointed directly by Sarutobi. He begins his years at the academy with a dream of becoming Hokage to earn the respect of others. He was trained by Jiraiya. His abilities made his teacher believe that he was “the child of prophecy”, destined to save the world one day.
This was fulfilled when after rescuing Kushina Uzumaki, Naruto’s mother, the woman gives birth to the baby, but both are forced to sacrifice themselves to save the child’s life and seal the nine-tails inside him. He was the teacher of the sixth Hokage, Kakashi Hatake.
- Ninjutsu: Jiraiya taught him how to summon toads, and is one of the few people to have earned Gamabunta’s respect and full cooperation. He can create barriers and detect chakra signatures at great distances. He also had the mastery of nature transformations of fire, wind and thunder.
- Rasengan: After observing the multi-tailed beasts, he wanted to develop a transformation technique, called Rasengan. By not using seals, he gave her an advantage in combat.
- Space and Time Ninjutsu: Another of his signature techniques is that of the Flying God of Thunder, which he perfected over the Second Hokage. This earned him the title of the yellow lightning of Konoha.
- Shurikenjutsu: Minato had his own style of kunai, with three points, to improve his offensive attacks.
- Fūinjutsu: These special sealing techniques were learned from Jiraiya and Kushina. The most notorious was the one he used to seal the Nine-Tails inside Naruto.
- Chakra and physical abilities: He is the fastest shinobi of his generation, not only due to his handling of space and time ninjutsu, but also due to his application of fast movement techniques. His chakra reserves were also immense, making him capable of summoning Gamabunta in his actual size.
- Transformation to the Jinchuriki: Before passing away, Minato transformed into the manifestation of the nine tails, but it was not until his reincarnation that he was able to use it.
- Senjutsu: Minato era capaz de entrar al modo sabio.
Relations between Hokage
- Father of the Seventh Hokage, Naruto Uzumaki
- He was chosen by Sarutobi, the Third Hokage, as his successor, thanks to the fact that he was a student of one of his disciples, Jiraiya.
- Profesor de Hatake Kakashi, el Sexto Hokage
5. Tsunade – Quinta Hokage
Birthday: August 2
Zodiac Sign: Leo
One of the Sannin of Konohagakure, she studied under the tutelage of the third Hokage. She is one of the strongest kunoichi in the world, and her specialty is medical ninjutsu. Her relationship with Orochimaru and Jiraiya, her teammates, was always very special, but especially with Jiraiya, who stood by her side fighting her for many years of her youth and adulthood.
After losing two of her childhood friends, Tsunade becomes cynical and cold, no longer believing in dreams. But this changes when she meets Naruto’s unbreakable will, who shows her that although her dreams seem impossible, they can be fulfilled. Thanks to the boy, she decides to take on the role of the fifth Hokage to prepare him for the position. She is the granddaughter of the first Hokage.
- Chakra and Physical Abilities: As Tsunade is a descendant of the Senju clan and the Uzumaki, her life force and energy is much greater than that of an ordinary person. He has a seal on his forehead which he uses to store chakra reserves.
- Ninjutsu: One of her abilities is to summon Katsuyu, a slug from the Shikkotsu forest. She can use them both for fighting and as a means of long-distance communication. Additionally, she can use them to heal wounds and restore chakra. She can wield the elements of thunder, fire, water, and earth.
- Transformation Technique: This special transformation technique allows Tsunade to appear 20 years old when her real age is that of a 50-year-old woman. She does not alter when she is injured or asleep. It only disperses when she has no chakra.
- Medical Ninjutsu: She is the best user of medical ninjutsu in history, even capable of treating problems that no other nin-medical has dared. She has extensive knowledge about poisons and how to cure them, and she is one of the first doctors to perform autopsies. The current medical system within Naruto was established by Tsunade.
Relations between Hokage
- Granddaughter of the First Hokage (and blood relation to the Second)
6. Kakashi Hatake – Sexto Hokage
Birthday: September 15
Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Kakashi Hatake was Minato Namikaze’s student and Naruto Uzumaki’s teacher. He is one of the most talented ninja within Konoha, and despite his disdain for responsibility, he is a pillar of knowledge and experience for the new generations. One of his primary teachings for Team 7 is the importance of teamwork.
He received the sharingan from his teammate, Obito Uchiha, and lost his other partner due to a sacrifice that forced him to get his hands dirty. Because of this, Kakashi prefers to teach based on forming a good team over individuality. He has a noble heart, and was one of the characters present during Naruto’s birth.
- Ninjutsu: Kakashi relies heavily on his use of ninjutsu. In his time as a student he was the most adept at this art, and thanks to the sharingan, he learned many other techniques, earning the nickname “Copy Ninja Kakashi”. Due to this, Kakashi can handle almost any situation with different strategies. He also has extensive knowledge of fūinjutsu, impressing even Orochimaru.
- Nature Transformation: He has mastery of all the elements, but his natural affinity is for lightning, which he can transform into weapons to increase his power.
- Sharingan: With the sharingan, you can replicate any movement you see, receiving much more visual information as well. But since he’s not an Uchiha, he can’t disable it, so his chakra drains quickly if he uses it for a long time. For this, he keeps it hidden behind his bandana.
- Mangekyō Sharingan: Kakashi obtains it due to trauma after Rin Nohara’s death. Kakashi can use a large dimensional barrier and transport bodies into the Kamui dimension, and eventually learns to transport himself to said dimensions.
- Tactical Intelligence: One of his most brilliant techniques is to use his body replacements, clones, etc., to avoid direct contact with the enemy, while observing their abilities from a safe place.
Relations between Hokage
- Professor of the Seventh Hokage, Naruto Uzumaki
- Student of the Fourth Hokage, Minato Namikaze
- Worked as an Anbu under the Third Hokage
7. Naruto Uzumaki – Septimo Hokage
Birthday: October 10
Zodiac Sign: Pound
Naruto Uzumaki is the Seventh Hokage and a shinobi from Konohagakure. He is the jinchuriki of the nine-tails since he was born, which isolated him socially during his childhood. His greatest dream was to become Hokage to earn the respect of all those who questioned and rejected him since childhood.
After many years of struggle and perseverance, he became the hero of the village, being a careful and intelligent strategist, with very obvious and respectable powers as a fighter and shinobi. Naruto is the reincarnation of Asura Otsutsuki.
- Chakra and Physical Abilities: His chakra reserves are massive and chakra very powerful. He learned to transfer this force to others, and to practice one-handed seals. His extensive life force gives him a very wide regeneration power, as well as stamina, vitality, and longevity. Naruto didn’t know how to handle close combat situations well, and he wasn’t good at taijutsu. Because of this, he used his clones to distract and surprise his enemies. After training with Jiraiya, he learns to take better taijutsu, until becoming an excellent fighter.
- Body Modification: After losing an arm in his final fight against Sasuke, Tsunade gave him a prosthetic using Hashirama Senju’s cells. This prosthetic is connected to his body using his chakra. Eventually, he mechanically modified the prosthetic to absorb and neutralize enemy attacks, with the idea of performing effective counterattacks.
- Jinchuriki transformations:Naruto, being Kurama’s Jinchuriki, has his chakra reserves at his disposal. At first, he only had the Yang side of the beast, but eventually the two came together within Naruto, and the reserves grew exponentially. Naruto would only use this power as a last resort in times of great danger, as the Nine-Tails’ energy made him very aggressive. Eventually, he learned to merge with the beast, replicating its image. He also gained access to a special technique called Baryon Mode, where all nine tails are manifested and his face resembles that of a fox. The chakra of both is used to consume raw materials and produce a new type of energy, such as nuclear fusion. This version, however, poses a great threat to the nine-tailed beast,
- Ninjutsu: The Sexy Technique was the only one he managed to use without fail, but he learned much more under Jiraiya’s tutelage. Eventually, he managed to summon toads and learned to use seals to hide his weapons in scrolls. Thanks to Jiraiya, she also learned to use collaborative ninjutsu, with which he supported himself from other people by using his elemental affinity to create special techniques.
- Shadow Clones: This is Naruto’s best known technique, which was improved as the series progressed. Currently, he can use it for long periods of time and on large scales.
- Rasengan: This is Naruto’s second most recognized technique. At the time of learning it, he had little control over his chakra, which made it difficult for him to manage it. But he eventually learns to handle it very well, creating Rasengan of great sizes and even sometimes releasing them as waves of energy or projectiles. Using Kurama’s chakra, he can create stronger and more elaborate versions of the Rasengan.
- Nature Transformation: Naruto’s natural affinity is towards the element of wind. However, he learned to use the other elements and mix them, depending on the need for him.
- Senjutsu: Naruto learned to control sage mode after extensive training.
- Six Paths Senjutsu: By mastering Senjutsu, Naruto gained access to the Six Steps, allowing him to fly and manifest nine balls of truth, which he could use as projectiles and give them the properties of all elements.
- Six Paths Sage Mode: Naruto was given the ability to enter this state by Hagoromo Otsutsuki. Naruto learned to mix this ability with the version of him possessed by Kurama’s chakra. His natural energy increases and he can create much more powerful jutsus. He also gives her the power to levitate.
Relations between Hokage
- Alumno del Sexto Hokage, Kakashi Hatake
- Son of the Fourth Hokage, Minato Namikaze
About the other villages
The name Hokage only belongs to the head of the village of Konohagakure. The other “Kage” have different names, and in total, there are five, for the five great nations or villages within the universe:
- Hokage – De Konohagakure
- Kazekage – De Sunagakure
- Mizukage – De Kirigakure
- Raikage – De Kumogakure
- Tsuchikage – De Iwagakure
The word “Kage” means shadow, which is why they are the shadows of fire, wind, water, lightning and earth, respectively.